Modification of Parenting Orders

Because child support is established based on the parents’ incomes and factors in costs that tend to vary over time (such as health insurance and childcare), it is highly likely that over time child support will need to be modified. A request to modify child support may also come simultaneously with a request to modify a parenting time order. 

There are two primary ways to modify a child support obligation: through the child support enforcement agency (CSEA) or through the court. Which method is preferable will depend on your circumstances. For example, if you or the other parent is requesting a modification of the parenting time order, you may be best served to go through the courts. On the other hand, if the only issue is child support, it may be more appropriate to use the CSEA. However, no two situations are alike, and every factor should be weighed before making a decision on which route to take.

There are several circumstances that may justify a modification of child support, such as losing your job, a change in the cost of childcare or health insurance, one of the parents has become permanently disabled, or custody or your parenting time order is changing. Your attorney needs to be well versed in the circumstances that justify a modification and what you need to do to accomplish the modification.

The custody attorneys at Edward F. Whipps & Associates have decades of experience and know the ins-and-outs of child support. If you are considering pursuing a modification of child support, you can trust our attorneys to provide you with sound and well-reasoned advice to help meet your needs and those of your children.

Contact an Experienced Child Custody Lawyer Today

If you need a child custody lawyer, please contact Edward F. Whipps & Associates for help. You can arrange a confidential initial consultation by calling our office at (614) 461-6006 or filling out this online contact form.



Contact Form