Future Modifications to Spousal Support

In any divorce or dissolution proceeding involving spousal support it is important to decide whether or not to give the court continuing jurisdiction to modify the spousal support order in the future.  Failure to reserve jurisdiction will result in the order not being modifiable.  If jurisdiction is reserved it can either be reserved for all purposes or only reserved as to the amount.

If jurisdiction to modify spousal support in the future has been reserved, the question becomes whether the circumstances warrant a change.  For a change to be made, the party requesting the change must prove that there has been a substantial change in circumstances that makes the existing award no longer reasonable and appropriate.  Examples of changes considered by the court include an increase or involuntary decrease in the party’s income and major changes in the parties’ necessary living expenses or medical expenses.  It is important to note that the change in circumstances must be one that was not considered by the parties or by the court in determining the existing spousal support order. 

At Edward F. Whipps & Associates, we have well over 30 years of experience helping individuals weigh and consider the potential changes that the future may bring.  In addition to the important questions surrounding the reservation of jurisdiction to make future modifications the attorneys at Edward F. Whipps & Associates also have extensive experience dealing with other factors that may affect spousal support including tax implications, a disparity in incomes, and the length of the marriage.  In short, you can turn to Edward F. Whipps & Associates whenever you have serious spousal support issues associated with your case.

Contact an Experienced Spousal Support Lawyer Today

If you need a spousal support modification, please contact a spousal support Attorney at Edward F. Whipps & Associates for help. You can arrange a confidential initial consultation at a mutually convenient time by calling our office at (614) 461-6006 or filling out this online contact form.



Contact Form