Never Married Parents

When a child is born to married parents, the parents stand on equal footing as to their custodial rights and their responsibilities.  However, when a child is born to unmarried parents, the mother has sole custodial rights with regard to that child unless and until a court proceeding gives rights and responsibilities to the father. Things can get even more complicated if the mother is married, but the father of the child is someone other than the mother’s husband.

In order for unmarried fathers to establish parental rights and responsibilities, they must seek the court’s intervention. This requires that they first establish fatherhood. Often, a “paternity affidavit” or DNA testing is required to substantiate the father’s claim to paternity.

Unmarried mothers may be facing the need to establish child support if the child’s father is not voluntarily contributing financially, to ensure that he continues to pay such support, or to have the process administered by the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA).  This can be accomplished in a number of ways and frequently requires court intervention. Either or both parents may also be interested in establishing parenting time schedules for the child or children.

If you are an unmarried parent and you face legal issues in this area, you will need an attorney experienced in this area. The attorneys at Edward F. Whipps & Associates have over 30 years of experience in handling custody, parenting time, and support issues for unmarried parents.  They are well aware of the measures needed to maneuver these issues and handle all the related concerns. 

Contact an Experienced Non-Traditional Family Law Attorney Today

You can turn to Edward F. Whipps & Associates to help you find the best resolution to your situation. You can set up your confidential initial consultation by calling our office at (614) 461-6006 or filling out this online contact form.



Contact Form